Jump and the low ledge

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jump and the low ledge

Postby Tanker » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:45 am

I repeatedly see in chat new players asking how to jump, or complaining that there is an "invisible wall" in the starting zone training/vendor room. New players are not expecting to get stuck on the low ledge that goes around that room. Visually it appears like you should be able to just walk over it. I've probably seen at least a dozen new players quit because of that. It is not at all intuitive to have to equip a jump icon at the start of a Mmorg. I suggest evening out the floor if this area is to continue being used and also have the jump icon pre-equipped at the start of the game. I try to explain the situation to new people when I see it pop up in chat, but it happens so often it's getting rather tedious. Another idea could be adding this to the tutorial where players are given instructions on how to equip things such as the jump icon to their hot bars. 8-)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (172.5 KiB) Viewed 1119 times

I don't always use a signature. But when I do, this is where I put it.
Tanker

Re: Jump and the low ledge

Postby Tanker » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:36 am

Just to stress my point I found this review on IOS (screenshot attached). The person who wrote the review unfortunately is a prime example of the "average" gamer. This person created a character. They began the tutorial and discovered the "ledge", and maybe gave a mediocre attempt at looking for something resembling a jump button before just giving up. So without ever knowing that there was a jump feature, or ever experiencing how awesome this game truly is he just went and wrote a negative review for the game.

We don't have to spoon feed people but the game has to be playable from the start. We only get one chance at a first impression and the reviewers first impression was that the game was broke. However, if the jump icon had been preloaded to his hot bar upon character creation he may have had a different experience.

I believe the the initial tutorial and even beginning quest lines need to address some of the basic game features such as step by step instructions on how to equip spells, items, etc to your characters hot bar. Other features such as how to use a reforge, or use a scroll, and curb a pet should be addressed as well since they are commonly asked about on the global channel. An informed player has much better odds of becoming a long term player. I know you guys at Veraxon have your slogans of "no hand holding" and " it takes a certain IQ to play this game", but perhaps it's time for a compromise. Maybe give the players some basic instructions or a PDF manual and leave it to them to read it, just some some form of guidance for new players. 8-)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (258.33 KiB) Viewed 1109 times

I don't always use a signature. But when I do, this is where I put it.
Tanker

Return to Ideas